The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Street-Bike Named Desire

The machine in the background is a 175 ton Hot Wheel smasher
 Although this bike has nothing to do with Tennessee Williams' Streetcar Named Desire, I thought the name was catchy when I found her twelve years ago. I rescued the bike from Goodwill way back on 2000' for ten dollars. I took off all the parts, and gradually put it back together as I found parts that would work.  
Now that's a head-badge, most bikes now just have some crappy ,glue-on plate or a sticker
Look close, this bike has a checkered flag on it right from the factory! They made shit fast back then :)
 Once I got it done, "Desire" and I were inseparable for all our rides in town. I lived in St Paul at the time and it was just the perfect bike to ride when I was not racing or training. 
This broke a long time ago, it's all good
 Fast forward about five years and I didn't ride it at all. Kids enter the big picture, leaving less time for "junk rides". Then we move to the suburbs, and it's not fun to just "ride around". So there it sits, I thought about giving it away or maybe even donating it back to Goodwill, but I could not.
Yes, that is someone welding in the background. 
This past summer I got her rolling again with a more comfortable riser bar and some better tires I found in my pile of bike junk. I cleaned her up and brought her to work to use as a lunch-time cruiser. "Desire" is once again rolling the streets of St Paul. I only get 30 minutes for lunch but if I hustle I can make it to Como Lake, ride around it and get back just in time to slam a Mt Dew and get back to work. I have a pretty flexible schedule, one of these days I'll start my lunch time cruise and just keep riding..................

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like you've some wonderful ideas and plans, sounds like the end result will look very nice! Best of luck with the changes
    Street bike parts California

    ReplyDelete