The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Easy Bake

A while back, while I was wrapping up my build on the portable mini wood stoves I executed a plan for a mini oven. I call it the 'Easy Mother Fucking Bake Oven' after the true Easy Bake Oven by Hasbro made for children. I desperately wanted one of these as a young kid but since it was targeted as a girls toy I had to put the dream aside.
As a comparison test I cooked two cinnamon rolls in my easy M F bake, and the rest in a real oven

virtually the same
  As far as my oven goes..... no one really needs anything like this but I wanted one so I built it.  The idea to build an oven was actually started on a trip I took last winter while I was trying to figure out a good way to cook some cinnamon rolls, the kind that come in a cardboard tube that unravels when you pierce the side. I've cooked these in the past over an open fire as well as the croissants that come in the same packaging with mostly poor results. They are not meant to be cooked this way but when I'm cruising the grocery store isles getting for a trip, particularly in the winter, they always seem to end up in the basket and somehow I believe I will have a way of cooking them properly. Well now I have a way.
Since I'm half Mexican, obviously  I cooked nachos for my very first test. 

Oven-----pan----aluminum foil filled with cooked nachos. What more could you want? 
  Although I have not field tested the oven it works very well on the gas range in my kitchen.  The oven is merely a thin gauge black iron box, with a hinged door to hold in the heat, and some rails on the bottom to keep the items being cooked, away from direct heat. I made a stainless steel tray that fits just inside with a removable handle. Is my Easy Mother Fucking Bake a Novelty ?.... Yes    Is it a  Piece of junk that plugs into a wall socket, using a 100 watt light bulb for heat, taking hours to make a couple of shitty cookies?...No.  Did I actually get to try an easy bake as a kid ? Yes....it sucked.
As you can clearly see ...It really is called the Easy Mother Fucking Bake Oven...Yo

2 comments: