The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Straight River


 Spring is a great time for canoeing on Minnesota rivers...the water is usually up and the horse and deer flies have not yet hatched. I received a call from my brother about a day trip he was hoping to do on the Straight River near Faribault. Since my whole family could join in I immediately agreed and the date was set.
To balance things out, Super Y rode with my bro and JB

stop to look at fossils

jack-pot
 Our short 10+ mile jaunt happened on a nice warm sunny day and included my family of five and my brother and his friend. The river was a bit low but made no difference in the amount of fun we had. The Straight is not a very wide river and has lots of turns, small rapids and scenic cliff faces along it's banks.
Lunch time

another fossil ...different location


 With lots of time allowed for the trip, we brought along a grill,  food and snacks, and took a nice long break on a sandbar. Along the way stopped a couple times to check out some fossil beds and interesting cliff faces. Due to proximity and the scenic terrain we'll definitely be back on this river again.
After trolling for most of the day G Man catches a bass...on the season opener no less
   

No comments:

Post a Comment