The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Late to the Party

just getting started, near Lynndale
 Last week I finally got out to Minnehaha Creek for a night ride. I had seen several posts about the great riding conditions and was really itching to pedal.  By the time I got out on Wednesday there was practically a highway of fat-bike and studded tire tracks along the route. I rode seven + miles out and back from Lake Nokomis with most of the traffic tapering off at Xerxes. I turned around at the dam in Edina at 50th St, but wished I had the time to ride further.

Not to worry, the water is only about 4 inches deep
 I had such a great time that night, I brought Super"Y" and Big "D" out for a ride of their own. I took them to a section that I thought would be most suitable for my youngsters, with no studs in their tires. They enjoyed the ride, but got a bigger thrill out of trying to dislodge blocks of ice where they found cracks in the frozen creek. I was thrilled to get them on the creek whether they wanted to break ice or ride.
The slush/overflow is quite deep in some sections.

Looking towards Lynndale Ave, about half way through my night ride.

It would be a dream if the whole creek looked like this

2 comments:

  1. If the whole creek looked like that it would just be a bike path!

    Looks like a ton of fun. The rivers in town down here don't freeze due to all the geese, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! I usually ride dry riverbeds out in the desert, but I'm sure the sensation is the same. Love the night time photo!

    ReplyDelete