The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Swamp Thing

























In the past couple weeks I've traded bike time for some kayak time. Specificly to check out the flooded backwaters of the %$^%$$&^%# river. The first trip was a solo ride deep into the swamps. I'm not much of a wildlife guy in that I search it out but when the animals are all around you it's really cool. I saw a gigantic snapping turtle that looked more like an alligator. Also were lots of birds including eagles, lots of turtles, beavers, and muskrats.



A few days later my friend Tom was in town from Utah and had some time for adventure. Since I don't have a bike in his size, my wife's sea kayak would be the perfect fit. We ended up pushing farther into the swamp then I did last time. I was looking for a route that I could paddle during the upcomming full moon so I could hide my gear safely in the daylight and return by bike after dark. I found the route and will be hoping for a clear night on the next full moon.


The third trip was with Dale. The river was up even higher this time. As a result the road was closed to the put in so we ran the route in the reverse direction from the previous two outings. The higher water enabled us to check out some other areas previously inaccesable. After revealing my afterhours plan, Dale has been put on the roster for the full moon tour. We are also planning a steak BBQ at his house before our moonlit stealth ride in the swamp. I am also looking for other attendees for this trip, all that is required is a short kayak, related gear and a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment