The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Wind River Range

Texas Pass...Day 3
 It's been a solid fifteen years since I've set foot in the Winds. Although I only did two trips there the first one was truly life changing and set in motion the person I have become today.  I was young, 25, in over my head, naive, but completely swept away by what life was not giving me.....wild and sometimes dangerous adventure.

First night out...quiet, peaceful....except worrying about bears coming into camp (lots of hype at the gear shop in town...I was sold on the bear spray though)  

Camp spot at Texas Lake 

 I grew up pretty much outside all the time, with lots of camping trips and relatively tame outdoor endeavors so it wasn't a complete stretch. Bikes have always been my thing and naturally turned into mountain bike racing, lots of racing. One one such MTB racing trip, my soon to be wife and three other friends met up for a 5 day trip into the Wind River Range to climb Gannett Peak. Two years after that I was back for another 4 day jaunt and ended up at the Cirque of the Towers....been trying to get back there ever since.

Going up Texas Pass 


some August 

Pingora just over G Mans right shoulder ....I want to get to the top of this 
   Not long after that comes three kids and life changes drastically. Since the only real way to enjoy the range is to walk in to the wilderness as far as time will allow, my wife and I have had to wait until the kids were old enough to carry their own stuff. Sure, we could have taken our boys there at a much younger age, carried all their gear in a few miles and let them throw rocks in a creek or lake for several days but I wanted them to do it clean, like a real back-packer, hauling all their own shit on a demanding route.

Best lunch spot to date 

Last night camp spot 
   Alas, the path of the solar eclipse was cutting across Wyoming, why not kill to very special birds with one stone, so the dates were set and we moved on it. Apparently lots of other people had a similar idea, when we arrived at the trail-head it looked more like the parking lot of an amusement park. I'm not exaggerating...there were cars everywhere along the road and in the ditches as well as any open space that would fit a vehicle. This seemed very strange considering the trail-head was quite remote, requiring about 1.5 hours of travel on gravel roads in various degrees of up-keep.  No matter... we still greatly enjoyed a four day trek mostly keeping to ourselves.

The beginning....clean and smelling good  


the little dot in the saddle is me 

did someone fart?

fish watching
                    All of day three was especially incredible with a morning accent of Texas Pass, having lunch at  Lonesome Lake back-set by the Cirque of the Towers, up and over Jack-ass Pass and finally setting camp near the shore of Big Sandy Lake. I'm really looking forward to another trip within a shorter time frame now that were all pretty much set up and capable.

D Rider..........................out

No comments:

Post a Comment