The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Best Laid Plans

Last Friday I headed north for a long weekend on the shore of Lake Superior. Long story short...
Vandy and I stopped to ride the beach at Park Point. This would be the only ride of the weekend due to a large amount of snow that would come a few hours later

Does this look cold? That was rhetorical , fuck yeah it's cold

Several hours of white knuckle diving in a snow storm and we were at our hotel in Grand Marais 

Yeah we're wimps for not camping.

We met Boney and Mr Ness the following morning....They are NOT wimps

Inside of their tent

Cooking breakfast .....for a while... stove issues :-( 

If you can get past the brutal cold and wind this time of year it's beautiful

Devil Track..  via snowshoe....classic


Due to a late start, we rappelled  Barrier Falls at night....A first for me

Almost back to the vehicles.   4.5 hours of snowshoeing.  Time for pizza at Sven and Oles, another north shore classic
     By Sunday morning the temps were brutally cold. Boney and Mr Ness shared our room instead of suffering outside. Vandy and I packed up early and headed home while the other guys did one more hike. Sometimes things don't go as planned, I would have preferred to camp out, ride my bike more and not be so flippin' cold.                          Until next time...............    D Rider out

2 comments:

  1. At some point one has to be realistic. On monday it was -14 with a wind chill of -48. I tried riding home from work and my lungs froze. I had to flag down a motorist and ask for a ride. I thought I was going to die. So, when plans don't go accordingly one has to just cope with it. There will be plenty of safer days to be out there.
    stay well my friend,
    Ari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -48 Damn, I can't believe you even went out in that.....that's tough

      Delete