The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Winter Bike Expo 2011

The great folks at Freewheel Bike put on an excellent show this weekend. They had some great sales and a huge amount of bikes for sale. I even got to meet a Moon Lander in person. I'm really hoping I will get the one I ordered. Mark and I rolled down to the show early (on Fat Bikes) to catch our beloved friend Mr Pramann (aka the Legend) doing a presentation on winter racing. He covered the history and evolution of the snow bike as well as his experiences racing in Alaska and The Arrowhead 135. I thought it was very well done and enjoyed it thoroughly. Well done Dave. Several others gave presentations but we were not able to stay for those as we had a trip to Chipotle in our future. It took well over an hour to get on our way as we had to check out the back room which was a Fat Bike heaven. The room was  filled with bikes, tires, frames and other winter goodies, as well as lots of friends and acquaintances.
"The Legend"




That's a real fire

Post race hyration

Behold
Later in the evening the best part of the show would commence at 6pm. The Fat-Bike Trench Crit. Not sure where the trench part comes from but it makes it sound really cool. Lynn and I rolled in from the the Light Rail to the east. It was snowing and made for a really cool, but short,  ride. The entry fee into the race was supposed to be a six pack of beer or some hot dogs. I forgot about it until the last minute: the SA we stopped at had no hot dogs so I brought a box of Popsicles instead. The course was sweet, they had some twisty turns, a jump, some board walk thingys, a skinny and some steep off camber climbs under several bridges and Santa was there too! I think about 12 of us started, with around 50 onlookers cheering as we made our way around the course. It was fun as hell and hurt just as much. When I do any race I go all out, and this would be no exception. The new snow was quite slick as I found myself eating shit in one of the first fast corners about 30 seconds into the race. I picked myself up and motored on without any other incidents to third place. After the race Lynn and I hung out a talked with friends for a couple hours before riding back to the train. If you missed this, you definitely missed a great time. PS. I heard a rumor the crit will be back in Feb.  

No comments:

Post a Comment