The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Stealth

 
Yeah...Corky is such a bad ass he rides two bikes
 Recently the weather here in the twin cites warmed to above normal temps just before going back into the crapper, covering everything in snow. For about a week we saw 60 to 70 degree days and all the snow was gone and things were drying out. I was out for a solo ride in a pretty amazing area when the idea for an over-night camp out began calling my name. Spring and fall seem to be the best times here in Minnesota....basically when the bugs (mosquitoes) are all dead and it's not to cold to enjoy lazing around a campfire in pants and a sweatshirt. A call-out to the Imperial Fat-Bike Riders Group was sen,t and details were set for the following Friday.

fan out

most of you locals know where this is....sssssshhhh

some of you don't know where this is 
  Four of us left my house in the late afternoon and arrived about an hour and a half later at our destination....a large mass of sandstone. I had not camped here before but have been visiting this site for well over twenty years. In those years the area has seen massive changes, mostly for the better, but along with that you can't really just do what you want anymore. Back in the day we used to hunt on this land, drive four wheel trucks, smash things and shoot items like bottles and TVs. Now, that's not accetpable and we were going stealth. Stealth meaning.....we would go into the woods, out of sight, build a small fire after nightfall, clean up all of our trash, and for the most part, leave no trace of our being there.  It was a fantastic night hanging with old friends Corky and ArcFlash as well as getting to know how freakin cool and funny Lizard Man is.
Heck yeah we bring cheese cake

take my word for it....the sunset was spectacular 

meat on a stick

Lizard Man and Corky
  The next morning was chilly, around freezing...a good 30 degrees colder than when we rode in and windy to boot. AF and Lizard Man took off early due to commitments. Corky and I had a little more time to kill and took a longer route home. Our plan to get a nice sit-down breakfast was foiled by my error in the location of a cafe' I had my mind set on. We had to settle for Mc Donalds.....ick, which was just fine for both of us. We were very cold and pretty hungry when we sat down in the warm building. After breakfast we had just a few more miles and we were back at my house.......completely satisfied with a sub 20 hour bicycle inspired camp-out. This is why I love the over-nighter...I get my rejuvenating "fix" and I'm home before most of the family has even had breakfast.  By the way...it snowed that night (Saturday), which sucked, but also made me feel like pulled a fast one on mother nature.

Sunny and beautiful, but cold and windy

Micky D's in  Awful Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment