The following is a true story, only the names have been changed, to protect the guilty.

Monday, March 7, 2011

A good day for a kayak ride




A few weeks ago I was out hiking along the Minnesota River on a warm day, the ice was gone on the river and it looked perfect for paddling. I planned on comming back the next day but the weather turned to crap and I didn't go. Last week I saw another opportunity and I took it. The plan was to put in at 35w and head down stream to the Cedar bridge and ride my bike back to the van. When I got to the parking lot the river was covered in ice for about 150 yards from the launch. The banks of the river were too steep to put in further down were the river opened up so I headed back to Cedar. Before I even got in the water I thought it was a bad idea. The temp was about 35F with a stiff headwind and the current on the river was really fast. If I could pass the first test of getting in the boat on the ice w/out falling in the frigid water I would be OK . It was a little precarious getting in the boat but I made it and headed up stream. It took 45 min to make it to Black Dog Power Plant and 20 min to get back. I stayed dry and had a good time but I was happy to be done. Next I would like to get out on the backwaters when the river floods in a couple months. stay tuned.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment